Speaking to the Bulgarian paper Dnevnik, Martin Petrov was concerned he may only be used from the bench this season.
“I don’t see City depending too much on me this year, at least from what I have seen from the pre-season friendlies so far. No footballer is content with polishing the bench and I am no exception.”
As to a possible transfer:
“There were several inquiries but no offers as of yet.”
I doubt Hughes would want to let him go as he likes to have wide players who can put in a good cross. However if we play with a single striker then Robinho is ideally suited to playing on the left with his ability to cut insideÃ‚Â and goalscoring threat.
Petrov remains a fantastic option as an out and out winger if we want to play 4-4-2 and he also chips in with a few goals. Hughes wants to have different options as well as quality cover so hopefully he’ll convince Petrov of his importance. The Bulgarian should get plenty of game time this season even ifÃ‚Â he doesn’t always start.
One of the big tests this season for Hughes will be his man-management skills in keeping quality players happy when they’re not an automatic choice. This is essential when managing big clubs in the modern game, but didn’t appear to be his forte last season when it came to our Brazilian contingent.
Latest news from the Everton site says that Everton have rejected a formalÃ‚Â transfer request from Joleon Lescott.
The player has subsequently submitted a written request to leave the Club which manager David Moyes immediately rejected.
“I have always said that we are not selling any players and that hasn’t changed,” said Moyes.
There’s little more the player can do now. It’s a big step for Lescott as I guess this would have waived any right he had to a loyalty bonus and risked his relationship with both the club and fans on Merseyside.
It’s not a surprise to hear Moyes reject the idea of selling his main central defender a few days before the start of the new season. It’s also hard not to feel some sympathy for the player, but I wouldn’t be surprised if City moved on to Upson or Distin with the new season only days away.
Surely it can’t be true, but if you read this morning’s newspaper headlines you’d be forgiven for thinking we were about to do deals for each of the left-sided central defenders.
To add to the confusion, the stories come from three of the more reliable City writers. Ian Ladyman has an EXCLUSIVE in the Mail that we’re set to sign Lescott:
Sportsmail believes the transfer will be completed in the next 36 hours.
After privately declaring the move all but dead over the weekend, it is understood
City were given encouragement on Monday afternoon and are now hopeful of having the player in their line-up to face Blackburn.
David Hytner in The Guardian follows Daniel Taylor in believing a deal for Upson is on the cards:
Manchester City will encounter little resistance from West Ham United if they follow up their interest in Matthew Upson with a bid of around Ã‚Â£15m.
Finally Ian Herbert, who recently followed City in South Africa, writes in The Independent:
Manchester City are ready to move to bring their former captain Sylvain Distin back to the club, as West Ham’s demands for Matthew Upson’s services are proving higher than the Premier League’s big spenders are willing to pay.
Just for good measure The Express has Joleon Lescott “considering handing in a written transfer request”.
If the Lescott deal really is back on, then that would clearly be Hughes’ preferred signing. However until we hear something from Everton to that effect then I’ll have my doubts.
Thirty year old Matthew Upson appears next in line, though Cook is only willing to pay Ã‚Â£10m and West Ham are looking for Ã‚Â£15m. Talk of City turning their attention to Distin could just be an attempt to lower West Ham’s asking price.
Personally I’d rather have Distin than Upson. He’s taller, quicker and better able to cover for an attacking full-back, which we have in Bridge. We might have to move quick for Distin as several other teams are also interested in the Frenchman.
There’s a lot of speculation that the signing of a new tall centre-half will mean the departure of Richard Dunne, which would certainly be ironic if we bring in Distin. For me our old central defensive ‘twin towers’ could be the best option for taking on the aerial assault at Blackburn. I’d hold 5′ 11″ Kolo Toure back for this one.